Sunday, January 22, 2017

#WhyIMarch

This tweet perfectly sums up yesterday for me.
Any introverts (and/or Brits) will understand why this
was so hard for me.

Showing up to a crowd that ended up exceeding half a million people, alone, in a hot pink, knitted, pussy hat.

Only something truly serious could get me out doing something so silly.

Why?

Because:

I am a well-educated, middle-aged, middle-class, Protestant, white, American citizen who is becoming increasingly aware of my privileged status, at the expense of millions of others.

I am the mother of a twenty-something daughter.

I am the aunt of two brown-skinned girls.

I am the sister-in-law of an immigrant.

I have been an immigrant.

I have benefited from the welfare system.

I have benefited from the education system.

I am a Christian.

Because the new regime is targeting all the most vulnerable members of society and is clearly intent on pillaging the world for their own benefit.

Because of all these things, it is my responsibility to stand up. Even when I'm shaking inside.

Wendy

3 comments:

  1. Wendy, I am proud to call you my friend. It is very hard to step outside our own bubbles. I am finding myself pigeon holed by my family and friends. How dare I have a voice speaking to them uncomfortably outside their views? I stand with you, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tammy. I know how hard you must find it, living in the Central Valley, to swim against the stream. I'm very lucky that I live in an area of many different colours and political persuasions. Feel free to rant to me any time you need.

      Delete

Leave a comment - I love a good conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...