Sunday, January 31, 2010

Things To Do Before I Die

The recent movie "The Bucket List" seems to have inspired bloggers everywhere to create their own Bucket Lists, lists of things they want to accomplish in their lifetimes.  Some are fairly shallow (spend a weekend at the Playboy Mansion, some profound (save a life), some amusing (ride a camel - I have to admit that's one of mine too).  I imagine most of us have lists of varying lengths which we have come up with in the course of our lives, whether formally written down or just in our heads.  I've had various versions which have changed as I have changed, and as I have accomplished things.  When I was very young one of my ambitions was to ride in a taxi, which I accomplished on my one and only visit to New York City as a nine-year-old.  Of course I've taken countless taxis since, but I can still remember the excitement of the firs time I ticked something off my "list".

So here, in no particular order, is my current "Bucket List":


  • Cruise down the Nile - I'm planning this for my 50th birthday
  • Become self-sufficient
  • Grow a vegetable garden
  • Learn to play the lute
  • Visit Murano Island in Venice and buy some Venetian glass
  • Meet my birthmother
  • Ride a camel/elephant
  • Visit Petra in Jordan
  • Volunteer for an archaeological dig
  • Learn to dance
  • Climb to basecamp on Mt Everest (I know my limitations)

And a few things I've ticked off:

  • Ride in a taxi
  • Live in England
  • Spend a night in a museum
  • Live in the Napa Valley again
  • Find my birthmother (although I haven't met her yet)
  • Visit Paris

I'd love to hear what's on your lists.

1 comment:

  1. I started my first bucket list in 1992 after my mother passed away in her mid-forties. I thought of all the things she would miss out on and decided I needed to make sure I died happy even if I was young. My list has changed over the years with more and more things being added every year. There are so many things on my list that I will need to live two lifetimes in order to get it all done. Over the last couple years I haven't checked anything off my list - which is sad. I just seem to be too busy.

    Your list has a couple really easy ones....grow a vegetable garden and learn to dance. Both can be done right at home. I've riden an elephant but it was at Marine World in Vallejo so I'm not sure it counts.

    Maybe I'll revisit my bucket list and see what things I'm not longer interested in. I need to start dating when I add something. It'll be fun to see how I change over the years.

    Have a great night....Deb

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - I love a good conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...