Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I need a vacation!

Whew, I'm just squeaking in under the wire here to get this post in today. After running around (not quite like a headless chicken) all morning, working this afternoon and a 2 1/2 hour drive we are finally at my parents' for Thanksgiving. This is an especially poignant holiday because it is the last major event we will have with my family before we go back to England. We are spending Christmas and New Year with David's family in Australia (which is a whole other story). We are having a crowd this year with us (me, David & Evie), Mom & Dad, Lauren and his family (Fin, Ally, Madie & Cedric), Fin's parents, Susan & Shupinar, and Fin's brother Ray and his family (Leah, Yuske, and The Bump). Finally, as the cherry on top, my Aunt Pat.

We will be having the traditional turkey for the carnivores, as well as sweet potatoes, cranberry relish and stuffing (my contribution, keep your fingers crossed as it's my first time ever to make it). Lauren will be making his traditional (and awesome) mashed potatoes. Mom will be making my Grandma Laura's bread rolls (with butter and honey they are better than any dessert). For the vegetarians and vegans among us we are having my Grandma Gerry's walnut patties (I would choose them over turkey any day, and I Really like turkey) and Evie and I have decided we are going to try to make vegan Turducken. For those of you unfamiliar with this animal it is a turkey, stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken. Evie and I are going to take mock duck and stuff it into the little fake chickens my mom has (seriously, they are totally vegan but are shaped like little tiny chickens - think Cornish game hens - they are kind of creepy actually), and then wrap it up in Tofurky. What do you think?

I'm buying apple and pumpkin pies from Costco. I feel slightly guilty about that but I AM making stuffing from scratch!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you're making me hungry!! I'm doing the turkey and stuffing, yams, deviled eggs (oh, yum), pumpkin pie, cookie bars and a pecan pie hubby has requested. This year I farmed out the rolls, veggies, mashed potatoes and other desserts. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - I love a good conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...